Thursday, July 8, 2010

Spain Holland

I predicted this would be the final game before the tournament started. These are two good teams and deserve to be in the final. In my view, the Spanish achilles heel is their left back, Carpevilla, who has to face and cover the most dangerous Dutch player, Robben. I expect that the Dutch try to capitalize on that weakness and send many balls down the right wing.

But the game will come down to the play of Spain's Xavi, Iniesta, and Villa. Their short passing and penetrating runs, backed by the intelligent play of Xabi Alonso, will create nightmares for the Dutch midfield who are more physical and not as fast. The Dutch may get an early goal but I predict that Spain will score two goals and eventually win 2-1. I will be rooting for the Dutch but I think the Spaniards are just too good for Holland.

Benni and I will be on a traditional Turkish boat called a gulet sailing somewhere in the Mediterranean Sea. We do not know at this point if there is a tv on the boat or whether we can dock to see the game. So there is a chance we'll miss the finals after having followed the tournament closely so far.

3 comments:

  1. Ufff!!!
    That would be a tragedy if you did miss the final....
    I hope you get to see it.
    I will watch it while eating Ethiopian food in Chicago!
    Hope you and Benni are having fun on the boat
    Sibbi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elin Loa KristjansdottirJuly 10, 2010 at 3:15 AM

    come on, u cant miss the final!
    the world would stop spinning if u did-
    LOL Elin Loa and family witch are watching WM closely in Denmark.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And you predicted the winner!!!
    Well done and once again, my older brother was right!!
    Sibbi

    ReplyDelete