Sunday, July 4, 2010

Amazing Quarterfinals and Incredible Germans

The Quarterfinal matches were exciting and incredibly dramatic. It is a good thing that I do not suffer from a weak heart condition while watching the end of the Uruguay-Ghana game or Spain-Paraguay. The other two games were upsets even though I had predicted that the Dutch would prevail. I predicted three of the four matches correctly so I feel pretty good about myself.

The Germans proved me wrong, however. I should have listened to my cousin Gunnar Már who predicted that the Germans would go all the way this year. After seeing them dismantle both England and Argentina, I wonder how the German speed and counter-attack will match up against Spain, who possess the ball brilliantly and play back and forth. The Spanish are fairly slow at the back (Picque and Puyol are not the fastest) and the Spanish forwards (aside from Torres) are short and will struggle against the tall German defenders. That said, I think the Spaniards will frustrate the young German side. The Spaniards will be patient and nibble at the German defense and eventually find an opening. Torres is a shade of his former self and the Spaniards definitely need more of a presence in the middle. My prediction is a 1-0 Spanish victory.

I really do think that the referee should have allowed the Ghanaian goal against Uruguay. The ball was basically inside the goal when Suarez made the save with his hand. The Uruguayans unfairly benefitted from the play. Of course, Suarez did get the red card and will miss the game against Holland (he plays for Ajax in Holland so this would have been a great game for him to play). Therefore, Uruguay´s chances are quite slim. I predict a Holland victory 3-1.

Currently in Istanbul and have been enjoying the sights, sounds, and smells of this charming city. Staying at a hotel in Taksim Square near the bustling Istiklal Street, which is a major shopping street. When we first walked down Istiklal, we thought that there was some major holiday or celebration because the streets were so crowded. But it was just a normal Friday afternoon. We also visited the Sultan Ahmed area and toured the Hagia Sophia. We watched the Germany Argentina game with a former Williams student Toygun Altintas, class of 2008, who is currently living in Turkey after finishing his masters degree from the University of Chicago.


1 comment:

  1. Magnus -- Lest it be thought that no one is keeping a tally of your predictions, it must be noted that but for the last injury time goal you nailed Holland-Uruguay. Very impressive! Nonetheless I am bucking your pre-match analysis and going with Germany today. Enjoy the rest of your trip . . . Hugh

    ReplyDelete